Thursday, October 25, 2018

Week 8 - Full Block

So this week I spent a ton of time working on the new blocked poses for my rig.  This new block has more movement, features the luna rig which is also blocked in its own poses (for the part when he reaches for her microphone and drags her around.)

This time I around it was easier to block out the poses because I had a better idea of how I wanted the movement because of the previous weeks of work. Some of these poses are crazier because the whole body is moving. The items in his hands help because they give the hands something to do. The challenging part was the last few lines he says where he sounds kind of defeated, because the movement there is subtle to match his tone of voice.

The next step is to spline and I've had a lot of feedback regarding how to spline. I'm keen to see how it will look.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Week 7 - Restart


This week I worked on restarting my animation idea. The first thing I did was bring in a new rig because of the weird discrepancies with the other rig's head being so much bigger than Captain America's. This new rig is called Luna and though when I imported the rig into my file her head was still kind of big, I was able to adjust of geo of the head and make it smaller.

They're holding things.
Both rigs are going to be using IK hands, I just feel like its easier. Captain America now holds a beer can, which was a suggestion that someone gave during senior portfolio a while ago. It fixes problem I had with the not having enough to do with the hands in my other block out. Cap's right hand is constrained to the Can. The Luna rigs right hand is constrained to her mic, and her left is position to rest on her hip. Speaking of constraining, I had a heck of a time trying to constrain all of these hands to things. I watched several you tube videos because there are tons of different ways to constrain things.  

The following video is the most helpful video I found about constraining, because it explains the several different situations one might use constraints and what particular way would be the most useful for the animation that you are doing.


If i finish a block this weekend I'll add it to this post. otherwise I'll just show a new finished block and possibly a spline next week. 

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Week 6 Animate Animate Animate

So I attempted to begin splining my Cap animation and its been pretty fun and silly.
wave your hands in the air like you just don't care
At first I just took the whole thing and I hit the spline button on the graph editor. I just wanted to see whats what. It was wacky to say the least. So I've been splining it bit by bit. So the following is the result of that. 






In 441, Mark mentioned the new Spiderverse movie and talked about how they animated everything on twos. I've been considering restarting this animation completely, so it would be something cool to try to do. Also I'm going to make his hands IK only if I do restart. And constrain the microphone properly to the interviewer. 

Thursday, October 4, 2018

Week 5 - Final Blocking and Fixing the Graph Editor


This week I continued my work on my animation, the feedback from last time was especially helpful because there was a lot of input from everyone regarding how Captain America should move and some fun things to add with the the interviewer character and creating a prop (a beer can) to hold. These new additions set me back in my timeline and I'm thinking I may just be doing the single animation now but I'll be working that much more on it. I'm in Mark's Character animation class and It's been a bit tough giving equal amounts of time to the work I'm doing. I will be changing how I manage my homework time on the weekend, so I can work more then but also not become burnt out with all the work I have to do for the five classes I enrolled in.




One thing that will help is being able to work at home, on my laptop with Maya. I was having a lot of trouble recently when it came to using the graph editor, specifically with using the updated version from 2018. While I worked with blocking things out, I worked in stepped so everything was pretty easy. However as I began to spline through the poses I found that I had this strange problem with my graph editor.

The solution ended up changing the settings to work with the classic graph editor instead of the new one. Shoutout to Pullyblank for helping me out with this.
  (´・ω・`)